No Heat? 5 Things To Do Before Calling For Service
Your home heating system is on the job for three-quarters of the year here in Massachusetts, so it’s no surprise that you’ll occasionally encounter an issue with your equipment – especially if you have an older furnace or boiler.
But before you contact a technician for heating repairs, it’s a good idea to do a little troubleshooting to potentially save yourself the cost of a house call – in many cases, your problem may be something that you can correct yourself.
What To Do If You Lose Heat
If you lose your heat, take these steps before you call for service:
- Make sure you have heating oil in your tank. If you don’t, schedule a heating oil delivery immediately.
- Make sure the temperature on your thermostat is set at least five degrees above the current room temperature, and the system switch is on the HEAT or AUTO position. The fan switch should be set to ON for continuous airflow or AUTO.
- Check all power switches.
- Check all fuses/circuit breakers.
- Check the pilot light if your system has one.
Still Don’t Have Heat? Do These 3 Things
If you take all of the above steps and your heat still doesn’t work, contact a technician to diagnose the problem and to make it right as quickly as possible. In the meantime:
- Act quickly, but don’t panic – Retain whatever heat you have in your house: close curtains, block under-door drafts, hang blankets over doorways, etc.
- Use other SAFE heating sources, if you have them – If you have other ways to heat your space, such as fireplace, indoor propane space heater, or electric heater, use them.
- Stay safe! – NEVER use outdoor equipment (barbecues, outdoor stoves, etc.) indoors – carbon monoxide build up can be extremely dangerous or even deadly.
The best way to prevent a no-heat emergency: Get routine maintenance!
Of course, the best way to deal with an emergency is to avoid it in the first place. That’s why we recommend our comprehensive Silver Platter Heating Service Plan, which includes an annual tune-up, heating repair discounts, and more. Contact us today to learn more.
Need reliable heating oil delivery in Quincy, Braintree, and beyond? Trust the pros at Scott Williams. Contact us today to become a Scott Williams customer!