Improve Your Home Efficiency With A Heating Upgrade
Is It Time for a New Boiler or Furnace?
Since you live in New England, you need a heating system that is up to the task of keeping you and your family comfortable and warm no matter how harsh the winter weather gets. In addition, if you’re like most families, you want to save as much as you can on your heating costs. The best way to do that is to improve your home’s energy efficiency.
Here are some tips for making your home more energy efficient and saving money:
- Use a programmable thermostat: Programmable thermostats are easy to use. You can make some small adjustments that will add up to significant savings. For example, set your thermostat to lower the temperature in your home by about 6 degrees whenever your family will be away from the home or asleep. That could save you as much as 10% on your heating bills. Similarly, you should lower your thermostat whenever your home is empty for days at a time because you and your family are travelling.
- Reduce drafts: A drafty house can lose up to 20% of its heated air through the small gaps around its windows and doors, chimney, ductwork, etc. By caulking your windows and adding door sweeps and weather stripping, you can help keep the warm air you’re paying for inside where you want it and can enjoy it. Addressing drafts now will also benefit your bottom line during the summer months because your air conditioner won’t have to work as hard to keep your home cool.
- Add insulation: This step goes hand in hand with addressing any drafts in your home. Insulation helps your home maintain the desired temperature with a smaller expenditure of energy. Your heating system doesn’t have to work as hard when your house is efficient at retaining heat.
- Use the sun: The sun is a free source of energy that you can tap into by opening any sun-facing curtains during the day to let in as much heat as possible. Close your curtains at night to help your home retain heat.
- Upgrade your heating system: Why keep pouring money into your old heating equipment? Invest in a new high-efficiency boiler or furnace. It will keep your home more comfortable while lowering your energy costs for years to come.
Scott Williams provides expert boiler installation and furnace installation.
Not sure whether it’s time to repair or replace your furnace? Scott Williams offers free no-obligation heating system evaluations that will help you make an informed decision. We can answer all your questions and help you choose the right model.
Heating System Replacement Benefits
If your heating equipment is on the older side and you’re planning to stay in your home for at least another five years, there are a lot of advantages to upgrading.
Modern furnaces can be as much as 98.5% efficient. Upgrading to a more efficient furnace will save you money and decrease your emissions. So, especially if your furnace is older, you can save money in the long run (and do something positive for the environment) by replacing it with a new, high-efficiency furnace.
Modern boilers are much more efficient than boilers from decades ago. That means they generate more heat with less fuel, and that saves you money on your heating costs.
Especially if you’re planning to stay in your home for the foreseeable future, an upgrade makes sense. Ask yourself the following questions:
- How old is your heating equipment? Especially if it’s nearing the end of its life expectancy, now is a good time to upgrade.
- How much are you spending on repairs? As furnaces and boilers age, they tend to need repairs more often. And the repairs get more expensive and more frequent with time. Replacement may be a better value.
- Is your heating equipment efficient? An older furnace, especially one that doesn’t receive regular maintenance, might only be 60% efficient. That means you’re wasting almost half of every dollar you spend on fuel. A new furnace can be up to 98% efficient. You’ll save money for years on fuel and repair costs. New boilers are more efficient than their older counterparts as well.
Still not sure if you should repair or replace your furnace this year? Don’t worry. You don’t need to make the decision on your own. Contact Scott Williams to request a free heating system evaluation, and one of our experts will help you make the best decision for your circumstances.
Trust Scott Williams
At Scott Williams, we repair, maintain, sell, and install boilers and furnaces. So whether you decide to repair or replace yours, we can help. And everything we do begins and ends with service.
If you live in Suffolk, Norfolk, or Plymouth County, you can count on us.
Contact Scott Williams today to schedule a maintenance or repair visit or to request a free heating system evaluation for your Massachusetts home.