Seven Signs Your A/C Needs Service
Summer 2019 is almost here, and here in Massachusetts we’ve already gotten a brief preview of the kind of hot, sticky weather that’s supposed to linger in our area in the coming months.
If you had annual A/C maintenance sometime between last fall and now, your central air conditioner should be in good shape heading into summer. But if you skipped your A/C tune-up – especially if you have an older home cooling system – don’t be surprised if you run into some cooling system trouble down the road.
Here are seven signs that it’s time to repair (or possibly replace) your home cooling system:
- It’s blowing warm air – or not enough of it – If the air coming from your vents isn’t cool, it’s usually a sign that your A/C is either low on refrigerant or has a problem compressor. If there’s not enough air flowing from your vents, it could also be a compressor problem – or a duct leak. Needless to say, these aren’t DIY problems – contact a cooling system professional.
- Your air conditioner turns on and off frequently – If your air conditioner runs for short lengths of time before it shuts off (also known as “cycling”), you may have a size-matching problem (meaning that your A/C is either too large or too small to do the job of cooling your home). You could also have a thermostat problem.
- Your A/C sounds – or smells – funny – Use all your senses to judge if you have an air conditioning problem. Listen for grinding, scraping and squealing – these sounds usually indicate a worn down or loose part somewhere in your system. And be on the lookout – or smell-out – for burning or musty smells, which could indicate electrical or mold problems, respectively.
- You see fluid near your A/C – Liquid around your A/C unit could indicate a serious problem – a refrigerant leak, for example, or a problem with excess condensation.
- You’re getting noticeably higher energy bills – Higher than average bills can result from problems ranging from duct leaks to a broken thermostat – and everything in between. An air conditioning pro will help you identify – and solve – the problem.
- You’re calling for cooling system repairs more frequently – If heating repairs are becoming an every-year affair, it’s probably time for an A/C upgrade – especially if your equipment is more than 10 years old. At that point, replacing your equipment with a high-efficiency.
- The calendar says it’s time – A modern air conditioner is built to last 12 to 15 years…but that doesn’t mean you should keep yours for that long. Towards the end of its lifecycle, your A/C will operate at much lower efficiency – especially if it has not been properly maintained. Investing in a new, high efficiency cooling system will often save you enough money in just a few seasons to offset the cost of your new equipment – in the meantime, you’ll get better cooling performance and a warranty coverage for your equipment.
Are you seeing, hearing, or smelling any of these warning signs with your home air conditioner? Contact us today to schedule A/C service or to get a FREE, no obligation estimate on an A/C upgrade for your MA home.
Scott Williams: Your preferred air conditioning service provider in Quincy, Braintree, Hingham, Cohasset, Dorchester, West Roxbury, Bridgewater, Brockton, Weymouth and surrounding towns.