What Is the Difference Between B5 and B10 Biofuel?
If you have heating oil delivered to your Massachusetts home, you probably know that our home state is leading the charge to using heating oil that is blended with biodiesel – a biodegradable organic material made from soy, canola, and other vegetable oils.
But if you’re like most people, you also have some questions about these biofuel blends – known commercially as Bioheat®. Here are some Biohheat questions and answers to help you get to know this cleaner, greener alternative to common #2 heating oil.
Common Questions About Bioheat
- Does Bioheat cost more? The per-gallon price of Bioheat is slightly more than the price of traditional heating oil, but it will save you money in the long run because it burns cleaner than regular heating oil – which means your heating system will last longer and require fewer repairs.
- Do I have to change my heating equipment to use Bioheat? In nearly all cases, you won’t need to make any changes to your furnace, boiler or heating oil storage tank to use Bioheat. If you want to confirm that your system will work with Bioheat, contact us.
- What do the “B” numbers mean? Since Bioheat is a blend of fuels, it is named by the percentage of biodiesel it contains. For example, B5 is five percent biodiesel; the rest is ULSHO heating oil. At Scott Williams, we offer B10 Bioheat – that means our Bioheat contains twice as much biodiesel as fuel sold by some of our competitors!
- What are the environmental benefits of Bioheat? By burning cleaner than regular heating oil, Bioheat reduces carbon emissions and smog particulates. Bioheat will also help your heating equipment last longer, which means that fewer furnaces and boilers will find their way into the landfill.
- Will Bioheat help reduce the impact of global warming? Yes! Currently in Massachusetts, Bioheat is playing a key role in helping the state reduce greenhouse gas emissions under the Global Warming Solutions Act (GWSA).
Scott Williams offers B10 Biofuel delivery to customers in Dorchester, West Roxbury, Bridgewater and surrounding towns. Contact us today to make the switch and join the Scott Williams family of customers!